Monday, May 6, 2013

Red Carpet Movie Premiere Day!


Last week, families were able to walk the red carpet at our "Movie Premiere" day!  Let me tell you about this fun, meaningful writing activity that you can do with your class!

     About a month ago, I sent home a disposable camera with each student.  To cut back on the cost, you could ask parents to email or send in family pictures.  Students were asked to take pictures of their immediate family members (grandparents were welcome, too).  I had the film developed to a DVD only.  I uploaded their pictures to Microsoft Word and resized them to one page.  This allowed each student to see what his or her pictures looked like.  Next, students wrote about each family member.  Following that, I used Microsoft Movie Maker to record students' voices reading their family report.  I matched up the pictures with their spoken words.  The end result.... an incredible family movie!!!  Families came last week to view the movies.  For fun, I gave each family a tub of popcorn to eat while watching the movies.  Each family took home their own copy as a special keepsake.  This is such a neat way to wrap-up the year and highlight your students' writing skills!


My Movie Stars!
 
Student Movie and Popcorn Tubs
 
 

3 comments:

  1. This is such a cute idea and families would love it! Bookmarked it for next year...don't think I can muster the energy this year! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I know that little guy in the middle. He was one of mine in kindergarten! Oh, how I miss him.
    Side note: I would love a little personal workshop on this moviemaking! Love the idea. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cute idea! I just found your blog through the blog hop you're doing above- I love your idea about the book sale too!

    x Serena x
    Magic Mistakes & Mayhem

    ReplyDelete